Intimate hygiene is everyone’s business. More and more men are starting to take care of their intimate area, as many feel that they have not paid enough attention to it over the years. The genital organs, which have no specific defense mechanisms against pathogens, require special care compared to other areas of the body.
Why is it important?
Maintaining proper male intimate (or genital) hygiene is a basic requirement for a healthy body and sex life, especially because inadequate hygiene habits can cause irritations, unwanted odors or the transmission of bacteria to our partner, among other things.
Despite these possible negative consequences, some of us continue to make the same mistakes in genital hygiene out of sheer ignorance. That is why it is necessary to acquire good hygiene habits for our intimate area.
Depilation: What are the existing products and methods?
Before explaining how to have good intimate hygiene, it is essential to mention which products are most suitable for it.
Proper male genital hygiene involves daily cleansing with soap and water of the entire genital area: penis, groin, testicles and scrotum. The genital area does not have the same pH as the rest of the body and. For this reason, it is best to avoid soaps or gels with a different pH. Soap should be neutral, which means it should have a pH of 7, which is closest to that of the male intimate area.
Nowadays, we can find specific products for male genital hygiene, which adequately cover our needs and adapt to our physiology and anatomy. For example, we can find specific soaps with antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory action.
Similarly, shaving and depilation of the intimate area is an increasingly widespread habit among men. Although most of the existing research on the subject indicates that the removal of pubic hair does not have significant health benefits, more and more men are doing it for aesthetic reasons.
Nowadays, there are different methods of hair removal, here are some of them:
- Waxing: warm wax is applied to the pubis and groin. For this method, we do not recommend the use of wax on the penis or testicles due to sensitivity issues. It should be noted that the male intimate area is so delicate and sensitive that we advise you to go to professionals as a first option.
- Razor blades: the benefit is the total control over the razor blade, so there is less risk of causing a cut.
- Electric razor: it is suitable for all types of hair, it does not hurt and there is no risk of cuts.
- Depilatory cream: these are depilatory creams for intimate areas with a gentle effect to prevent irritation and itching of the skin.
- Laser: they are completely safe. According to experts, laser hair removal treatment is the most effective and long-lasting method of all, it is performed under medical supervision, by certified and qualified laser treatment professionals.
How to shave the male intimate area correctly?
The use of clippers and blades for pubic hair is the least dangerous traditional method, as this procedure does not pull out the hair or cause any injury.
- To get a good shave, it is important to first trim the pubic hair to the desired length with the razor.
- Afterwards, a good hot shower always comes in handy, as the water helps to soften the pubic hair and open the pores, making it easier for the electric razor to glide over the area.
- After applying a little shaving foam, press the skin and shave with gentle movements.
- Finally, the area should be rinsed with water, dried and finally moisturized to soothe it.
Hygiene: How to maintain good male hygiene?
Daily cleansing is not enough, it is recommended to do it every time you have a sexual encounter (especially if you have used lubricants or condoms) or after practicing a sport.
To avoid excessive sweating, we recommend the use of loose and comfortable clothing, as well as the use of natural fabrics, as they allow perspiration and reduce the risk of irritation and fungal or bacterial infections.
Uncircumcised penises need special attention to the foreskin and glans, as this is an area that requires specific care. A particular characteristic of this area is a secretion called smegma that forms as a result of the accumulation of dead cells on the glans and the inner part of the foreskin. Its strong characteristic odor can be very unpleasant for us and other people. For this reason, it is necessary to clean the area well by gently removing the foreskin.
What to avoid to improve our intimate hygiene?
For optimal male genital hygiene, in addition to carrying out all of the above, a number of practices should be avoided:
- Cosmetic products such as creams, perfumes, talcum powder or deodorants or any other that is not specifically designed for the area: they can lead to irritation and facilitate the appearance of fungi.
- Tight clothing, whether underwear or outerwear: not only prevents proper circulation, but increases sweating and humidity in our intimate area, which can lead to possible infections.
- Shower sponges: if they are not kept well disinfected and renewed from time to time, they can be a source of contamination of bacteria and fungi. If you use them, do not share them with anyone else.
There are multiple ways to keep the intimate looking good. It is true that some of them serve a purely aesthetic function, we believe that both comfort and attractiveness are important. That’s why we encourage you to try the method and routine that works best for you.
Whichever your preferred hygiene routine is, keeping your intimate area clean will give you the confidence you need to feel comfortable with your body and have confidence during all your sexual encounters. Remember that, in case of doubt, it is always good to consult a specialist.
Author: Andrés Suro (Sexual Coach at MYHIXEL)
Psychologist specialized in the social area and expert in sexology applied to education.
PS: Remember you can book a private consultation with me at MYHIXEL CLINIC. Book your appointment here.