Oral sex is an act of appreciation and sensuality. It’s an exciting way to connect with someone in such a pleasurable way. However, even as an isolated act, oral sex serves as a deeply intimate, satisfying experience for both parties.
This act has been known to exist for centuries but there’s still some myths and information that could be interesting to dismitify, clarify and simply acknowledge.
- Did you know that you would go to prison for giving oral sex a long time ago? In Medieval Europe, oral sex was banned because it was considered “unnatural,” since it could not lead to procreation. Those found guilty of cunnilingus were given four years’ penance for their sin, while those who committed fellatio were given five.
- If you had a doubt, this is your correcta answer: oral sex is sex. Despite how frequently oral sex is practiced, people are really split over whether oral sex actually “counts” as having sex. This is due to the fact that many young adults and teenagers who want to preserve their “technical virginity”, don’t consider oral sex to be the real thing. Maybe it’s because oral isn’t penetration in a traditional sense, or perhaps it’s because the act can’t lead to conception.
- Some biologists believe that oral sex may have helped the evolutionary process, since sexual pleasure between mates helped early humans choose better partners.
- Oral sex is not exclusive to the sexes and is equally pleasurable for all. However, men are more likely to say they received it, whereas women are more likely to say that they performed it on a partner.
- Receiving oral sex increases the probabilty of a woman reaching orgasm during sexual activity. Intercourse alone can be difficult for a woman or a person with vulva to reach orgams.
- Eating certain foods can’t really change the taste of semen or vaginal discharge but specific overall diets might. You may have heard that eating foods like pineapple can change the taste of your vagina. While this isn’t totally true neither false. The truth of the matter is that eating foods with higher sugar content, like fruit, could possibly make bodily fluids taste a little sweeter. But that effect wouldn’t be noticeable right away, especially not in men, since prostate fluid in ejaculate can be made weeks or months before.
- Are team spitter or swallower? People who swallow wont experience harm (assuming he’s free of sexually transmitted infections and the Zika virus, that is). In fact, some studies have even suggested that exposure to semen offers strange health benefits such as a reduced likelihood of preeclampsia or depression.
- Humans aren’t the only species that performs oral sex. Animals such as chinese fruit bats, bonobo chimpanzees, cheetahs, tigers, and black bears also engage in pleasuring one another orally.
- Oral sex isn’t automatically safe sex. Aside from an unwanted pregnancy, there is another thing we should always be cautious about. Just because there’s no penetration involved doesn’t mean that oral sex is automatically a safe sex option. In fact, there are several risks you need to be aware of when it comes to oral acts. It’s still very possible for you to get an STI on your mouth or genitals from giving or receiving oral sex with a partner of any gender. To avoid any possibilities of getting an STI, it’s advisable to use a condom o a dental dam.
- Oral sex while in period is very pleasureable. For people with vulva, it can be very enjoyable as it helps to relieve pain. Oral sex doesn’t have to be off the table when you’re on your period. You just have to pick a low-flow day and designate a dark-colored towel and just embrace the mess.
There are many things that are not known about this practice so practice and knowledge is power. Knowing what to do and what to avoid helps us to enjoy the moment more and feel safer. Oral sex is extremely pleasurable, so just lay back, relax and let yourself be carried away by the sensations.
Author: Anel Martínez (Sexual Coach at MYHIXEL)
Sexologist specializing in sex therapy and sex education, mental health and human behavior.
PS: Remember you can book a private consultation with me at MYHIXEL CLINIC. Book your appointment here.